Rant on StackOverflow

OK, there's no place to post this on S.O. so I'm placing here.

For starters this is a <rant>.

I've been using StackOverflow ever since Joel told about it on his late blog. And I'm a huge fan of the site, and have been a strong supporter, and advocate.

However, even though I'm thrilled with the success that is S.O., I've been noticing of late a crescent amount of silly question posted by first time users.

I want to make crystal clear that I don't mind helping newbies, and people who is learning, but c'mon, ask a question that Google can have it for you in less time that it takes for you to write and post the question?

A recent example, someone asked how to fill out a SELECT tag using PHP reading the information from a table. The reputation of the user: 1.

The problem with this kind of posts is that serious, sometimes job-treatening, questions are missed by people willing to answer because the barrage of siliness that pushes the just posted serious question to the page 2 or even 3.

</rant>

Comments