Why Microsoft?

Lately, I'm using PowerPoint a lot.

Usually, to create YouTube videos.

Early this week I had to do a clean reinstall of my Windows 10.

Everything went smoothly, but then I noticed that the ruler in my PowerPoint was in inches, and I -- like the rest of the civilized world -- use the metric system. So, I went to the Advanced options in PowerPoint and saw this window:

PowerPoint Advanced Options window

And that got me scratching my head. Because in Word, when I go to the Advanced options I see this window. See the difference?

Word Advanced Options window


In Word I have the option of changing the ruler measuring unit, while in PowerPoint, I don’t.

As it happens, when I searched to find an answer for this weirdness, according to Microsoft, PowerPoint uses the measuring unit defined in the operating system, that is in Windows, not in the application.

I had to go to the Regional Settings...

The Regional settings window

And in there go to Additional Settings...

The Additional settings window

To only then change the whole system unit of measurement. 

So, I had to do this whole rigmarole for something that I should be able to change in the application.

I ask again: Why Microsoft?

Comments